Thread: [MOD] YaK's Starvation and Morale overhaul for BS1

[MOD] YaK's Starvation and Morale overhaul for BS1

Hi there!

As anticipated, i am trying to fetch a starvation/morale overhaul mod that aims to make theese two mechanics less shallow.

TL: DR

Here's the download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...HVNeXU5TUpIblk (GDrive)

https://www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/3/? (Nexusmods)

Not considering the emotional and roleplay point of view, there are really few (if not none) reason to not let you caravan population starve to zero and save renown for promoting heroes instead of buying supplies.

Also, Morale, aside achievements and the aforementioned reasons, from a practical point of view it's not so useful. It gives just tiny bonus/malus of -2, -1, 0, +1 and +2 to WILLPOWER at his various levels (Very Low, Low, Normal, Good, Very Good).

Since this is a game based on a story (and it's a great story), not just on fighting battles, in which you should protect your caravan and try keep your population alive, it upsets me a bit.

From this consideration, the idea of this mod was born. Right now i have a working beta version, of course it need to be tuned, tweaked and tested, anyway this is what it will change:

What's new in 0.9a:

# UPDATED compatibility up to The Banner Saga version 2.32.04.

What's new in 0.8b:

#FIXED a bug that automatically caused "Game Over" at the beginning of Chapter 2, when Rook & Alette travel from the woods to Skogr.

#CHANGED a bit Morale bonus/malus to Willpower. Now we have -3, -2, 0, 1 and 3. -4 was a bit too punishing since it prevented many low rank heroes to use any ability at all in the battles, since lots have just 4 WIP at the beginning. I don't want this mod to make the game frustrating.

# Bonus to Willpower

Changed to : [-4, -2, 0, 1, 3]

At the moment i don't know how to have three different set of values, one for every difficulty level, as proposed by Aleo.

It's not a huge change, but it will mitigate the situation. It will be not desiderable to hit low or very low morale.

# At Zero clansmen, fighters and varls

it's GAME OVER.

Because you have to keep them alive, it's the reason of the game: Survive.

No more ghost caravan, please.

# Starvation deaths

Right now work like this:

When you have no supplies left, you'll lose a random* number of clansmen, fighters and varl comprised respectively between [0-9], [0-5] and [0-3].

So you could keep marching for days and days and days (possibly for the entire game), with lowest morale and nothing will happen, probably they start to eat each other, who knows.

This mechanics will change in this way:

We will have the losses based on two parameters:
    - Morale.
    - How many subsquent days you're starving.

On the first day of starving you will lose more or less the same amount of people. There wuold be two slighly different sets of values, one for VERY GOOD to NORMAL morale, and another with about +33% losses, for LOW to VERY LOW morale.

This numbers will increase on subsequent days, until you eventually reach zero and then your game is over or, in the case you gain supplies, it will reset.

These are the values for the losses i chose, of course i am still in the tweaking:

Code:
    Day 1 Hi-Med	0	3	4	5   |	7   |	9	11	13
    Day 1 Low	1	4	5	6   |	9   |	11	14	17
    Day 2 Hi-Med	9	11	13	18  |	21  |	27	34	39
    Day 2 Low	11	14	17	23  |	27  |	35	45	51
    Day 3 Hi-Med	34	39	44	47  |	53  |	58	62	69
    Day 3 Low	45	51	58	62  |	70  |	77	82	91
    Day 4 Hi-Med	62	69	77	86  |	101 |	121	139	150
    Day 4 Low	82	91	102	114 |	134 |	160	184	199
    Day 5 Hi-Med	139	150	166	181 |	199 |	223	258	287
    Day 5 Low	184	199	220	240 |	264 |	296	343	381
    Clansmen will use the entire table (5 days, each with eight random picked values).

Fighters will use the first five columns and losses of day 5 will be the same of day 4. Since they're trained and sturdier.

Varl will use the firs four columns and losses of day 5 will be the same of day 4, since they're the sturdiest.

I keep in consideration the max values of each three kind of population you could attain in a single game, there was no sense in letting you lose 400 fighters in a row, since you'll never attain as much.

Of course i have not considered the case of Hakon caravan, since his caravan is full of supplies and varls, i don't think you're supposed to die of starvation in that scenario

Just to give you some numbers:

Clansmen ---> An average of 379 or 502 losses after on 5 days of starvation, depending on morale. The range is 244-558 or 323-739. Pretty high if you're unlucky or low enough to concede you another day of forced march if you're lucky.

So, generally speaking, the game will not be really much difficult, it will just avoid an excess of metagaming.

If you want, you could just cheat and grant you 1000 supplies.

I am open to suggestion and feedback.

See you! You will not be forgotten
    Last edited by YaK; 09-29-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Update
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

New version up.

A fix and a balancing tweak.
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

A minor update to make the mod compatible with Banner Saga version 2.32.04.

Good stuff! Something like this should deffinetly have been implemented into the core game, or at least on the Secuel.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"