Thread: Banner saga III and let's talk about rtwp design

Banner saga III and let's talk about rtwp design

I would like Banner saga III would feature real time with pause gameplay design similar to classic infinity engine games.
    Of course it could have some additional fresh RPG elements.

Travel system could still be there between larger hub areas and environments but similar to Baldur's gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
    I would like Banner saga III would even top Shadows of Amn.

The main problem with the RTWP mechanic is how the entire abilities suite and the core Strength-Armour mechanic would work... Of course, I always thought that using a conventional/Pillage-locked turn-order (instead of the alternating one) would severely unbalance the game, and then Survival Mode came with Saga2 to prove me wrong! So, maybe sometime like RTWP would also work nicely

Another thing is that the AI would require an entire re-working, to balance all the difficulty settings.

Finally, there's the "speed" (dps) attribute that's there with all real-time games to be designed...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Could the game be designed as exploring the world environments as in Divinity: Original sin with more dungeons and variety of fantasy viking landscape?
    Secret areas, NPCs and bosses etc...

So, isometric RPG with TB combat like Torment Tides of Numenera?
    Last edited by eon; 10-18-2016 at 06:25 AM.

This would be tremendously awesome, but I doubt Stoic have the bandwidth and resources to undertake such a task! Saga 3 will most likely be similar to the previous games in terms of mechanics etc. I'd shoot for something a little more "special", for example two or more alternate routes/events/battles towards a given key-location.

The Tahira game exhibited an interesting mix of exploration/interaction with turn-based combat, in the same (small-sized) locations/boards/maps.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I didn't mean to switch the engine.
    I had in mind environments to be isometric but in their own unique art design.
    And that the combat happens in the same environment area where you encounter the enemy A.I. , not loading another area. Everything would be seamless.
    Basically, as Divinity Original sin but with their own unique approach.

The main reason for this is exploration and additional RPG layer.