Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [MOD] Drake's and YaK's BS2 Fixpack

I hope you're keeping a "programmer's log" for all the mods/edits you're doing, you know, explicitly mentioning the file you're editing and the changes made (modifications, additions, deletions etc), together with a link or small explanation of the in-game problem it addresses. It will be much easier for any dev to process such a "document", rather than reading these long forum threads and looking into each one of the fixes individually.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I didn't do for BS1, but since this update, i am definitively doing this and update the first post with as much informations as possible, probably color coded (deletion in red, for example) by the way, it will take a bit, since i need to track down the Krumr's dialogue and Chapter 9 random events bug, that had different additions.
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

convo\part9\cnv_9_rnd_oli_gather2.json.z
    This one I had assumed it was the o1 flag that was throwing the console error, but I guess I was mistaken - I had assumed that by reading over the console error messages and applied my fix based on that. But like the readme had said, I didn't go back and test it. The whole event is just badly coded imo like someone other than a programmer had written it and no one ever went back over their work, it might require a whole new logic rewrite :S

convo\part10\cnv_10_pop_lundar_saved.json.z
    Ya I realize you sort of get "rewarded" twice under the current implementation, but I felt this was better than the original implementation because it didn't make sense to me that Josurr would only reward you if you ONLY saved the houses and let the other sites burn. This way can still be justified imo as being 1st HIM joining you then later the town joining you, or you could try merging the numbers somehow but that could get messy

convo\part11\cnv_11_convo_tunnelstonesinger.json.z
    Originally this convo line just ENDS there - aka kill the stone singer results in the same outcome as "Step back" - this change I made allows the convo to continue and potentially take the stone singer with you

convo\part10\cnv_10_convo_goodbyes2.json.z
    Play this scene unmodded in game if you want to see the bug - basically you see the dialogue, click to continue to the next slide and the same dialogue pops up a 2nd time

convo\part13\cnv_13_pop_oldford_train.json.z
    The bug here is that in building barricades you are given the opportunity to change your mind and exit out of that dialogue without committing to building barricades if you click on the houses first, but for training there is no such opportunity to back out. Once you click the training icon you are committed to the training path with no chance to change your mind before committing, I tried fixing it myself but adding in a "Back out" option just progressed the story as if the training had gone through

convo\part14\cnv_14_convo_canary.json.z
    true enough since this does happen late in the game, I would reccomend that that added supplies be = to the amount of supplies those 500 fighters would eat during the rest of the march to aberrang so the change is a net zero

convo\part14\cnv_14_pop_arb_war_setup_king.json.z
    All other options set a flag before going into battle - which changes the battle setup - this one never set the flag, the reason I listed it as untested is because perhaps this option simply does not alter the battle setup. I applied the flag change but did not go back to see if the battle setup was altered

As for the unimplemented achievements, ya I had noted them in my guide - I just assumed I was somehow missing activating them and not that they were simply not implemented.
    For the Lundar battle, I would assume it ought to activate when Dagr joins the battle - which is several waves in and only happens if you sent him off with Lu or Aleo
    For hunting quickly, I would assume it would activate if you could kill those first two mobs with only Alette in say 2 turns flat or the like

Oh and if you could some how make the "achievement" renown ALWAYS pop up instead of just for the first playthrough - that would be amazing, was something I never figured out how to do
    Last edited by Drake713; 11-18-2016 at 08:10 PM.
    Faith is the Darkness to Reason's Light

Here is how I would go about rewriting the logic chain for convo\part9\cnv_9_rnd_oli_gather2.json.z -
    first I would define a new flag in saga2.json called "9_oli_ate_leaves"
    have that flag be defined as = 0 from a new game sate
    then in the event check that new flag only instead of o1 or o2 and define the event logic based off the one flag being = 0 if he did not eat the leaves, or = 1 if he did

Quote Originally Posted by Drake713 View Post
    convo\part9\cnv_9_rnd_oli_gather2.json.z
    This one I had assumed it was the o1 flag that was throwing the console error, but I guess I was mistaken - I had assumed that by reading over the console error messages and applied my fix based on that. But like the readme had said, I didn't go back and test it. The whole event is just badly coded imo like someone other than a programmer had written it and no one ever went back over their work, it might require a whole new logic rewrite :S
    Yeah, probably it needs a rewrite, i think it hits the limits of the engine for convos, and it is really odd.

convo\part10\cnv_10_pop_lundar_saved.json.z
    Ya I realize you sort of get "rewarded" twice under the current implementation, but I felt this was better than the original implementation because it didn't make sense to me that Josurr would only reward you if you ONLY saved the houses and let the other sites burn. This way can still be justified imo as being 1st HIM joining you then later the town joining you, or you could try merging the numbers somehow but that could get messy.

Well, he rewards you (namely early joins, cause they're fucked ) if you save ONLY the houses, the merchants give you more supply in the market if you saves ONLY the market and Josurr is really pissed off if you saved only the fighters and tell to take them with you or they will kill them. All the other combinations, included not being able to save anything, are addressed later. It makes really sense to me.

Originally this convo line just ENDS there - aka kill the stone singer results in the same outcome as "Step back" - this change I made allows the convo to continue and potentially take the stone singer with you.
    Well, i think i will play the conversation again with and without the mod, since i can't get the point :S

convo\part10\cnv_10_convo_goodbyes2.json.z
    Play this scene unmodded in game if you want to see the bug - basically you see the dialogue, click to continue to the next slide and the same dialogue pops up a 2nd time.
    Hahaha, don't noticed! Probably i was tired or my brain automatically "correct" it .

The bug here is that in building barricades you are given the opportunity to change your mind and exit out of that dialogue without committing to building barricades if you click on the houses first, but for training there is no such opportunity to back out. Once you click the training icon you are committed to the training path with no chance to change your mind before committing, I tried fixing it myself but adding in a "Back out" option just progressed the story as if the training had gone through.
    Oh, now i understand. I think something happens "on click", i have no idea if it's fixable at the moment without Zeno Editor, since it could be needed to mess up with villages files.

true enough since this does happen late in the game.
    Well, anyway i could try, unfortunately all the events was planned as more complex. We know that around 300 fighter were supposed to join but have no idea if there are horsebornes "clansmen" and how much found they could have/share (probably comes from ransacking Tolir :/ hopefully we will know for sure in Saga3 ).

convo\part14\cnv_14_pop_arb_war_setup_king.json.z
    All other options set a flag before going into battle - which changes the battle setup - this one never set the flag, the reason I listed it as untested is because perhaps this option simply does not alter the battle setup. I applied the flag change but did not go back to see if the battle setup was altered.
    Probably, anyway i will check what happens and let you know.
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

Quote Originally Posted by YaK View Post
    Well, he rewards you (namely early joins, cause they're fucked ) if you save ONLY the houses, the merchants give you more supply in the market if you saves ONLY the market and Josurr is really pissed off if you saved only the fighters and tell to take them with you or they will kill them. All the other combinations, included not being able to save anything, are addressed later. It makes really sense to me.
    Not sure if you noticed but in the base game you still get rewarded 2x for saving just the houses - aka that saga2.json part still fires off

-I do not know if the patch changed the convo but picking "step back" when I made this change resulted in the convo just ending abruptly and not setting the flag that you had brought the stone singer with you - basically playing the rest of the game as if you had killed the stone singer - if it is not that way now then the patch changed how it plays out

"Please. Don't."
    "Swing your axe" = nothing
    "Step back" = nothing? bug?

PS 2 edits I had made to the 1st post you may not have seen:
    true enough since this does happen late in the game, I would recommend that that added supplies be = to the amount of supplies those 500 fighters would eat during the rest of the march to aberrang so the change is a net zero
    Oh and if you could some how make the "achievement" renown ALWAYS pop up instead of just for the first playthrough - that would be amazing, was something I never figured out how to do
    Last edited by Drake713; 11-18-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Well, it appears that the solution for oligather2 was so stupid that i refuse to see: There was no need of condition check! Just five exclusive option with five exvlusive results! I just rewrited and tested it.

I made me a cup of coffee and looked deeper at the Lundar affair: It's awfully handled.

Don't like the reward for saving just the houses (also +120 supplies? WHY if they looted your food?) or just the GreatHall.

I'll rework the whole think as this:

In Ch10:

1) You'll get +5 renown for saving anything, except for failing the battle or saving JUST the nobles in Great Hall.

2) If you saved the families OR the families plus anything you'll get the item and the thanks from Josurr (no clansmen, no possibility of joining before Ch12 and no supplies). I'll edit a bit the text accordingly to keep as much texts content in.

3) If you saved just the GreatHall, Josurr will piss off (no +10 clansmen, no +33 fighters).

4) If you saved the market OR the market + greathall, you'll get another +5 renown (cause, anyway, he thanks you and you've done a great task).

In Ch12:

The mechanic stays as it is now.

So you could get any combination of +112 supplies, +51 fighters and/or +203 clansmen.

Now i am looking at the other explained bugs you mentioned while testing all the other changes, so i'll postpone the Horsies food thing for the moment.

The achievements thing upset me also, until now i've not managed to "fix" it, but who knows, after this i am looking in that and the possibility of making the other "secret" achievement working, i am not sure, but it's just matter of writing a working condition trigger in the battle files.
    Last edited by YaK; 11-19-2016 at 02:52 PM.

@YaK -- Do keep that "log" and, if you would share it, I'd gladly help "push" it to John in order to try to get these into the official patch(es).

Also, a rusted modder's question: Is it possible to define new flags, or do we have to make do with only the existing ones?

I'm not sure I agree with #4 but the rest of it looks good

@Aleo, yes my post above gave a high level explanation of how to define a new flag

-first I would define a new flag in saga2.json called "9_oli_ate_leaves"
    You basically just create an empty block inside saga2.json with the flag name

Okey, all fixed and tested.

Just to let you know, the change in arberrang battle (King side) effectively change the disposition of units in battle.

Regarding #4:

That what i've done in the end, it's a bit different from what i planned:

#1 Saved Houses ---> +5 renown; Solvi's Method; added this text "And here, to show my thanks.". ***Completely bypassed the joining (+183 clansmen, item and +120 supplies thing)/Not joining (+5 renonw - that was stupid)***

#2 Saved Houses+Market ---> +5 renown; Solvi's Method; added this text "and here's a little something, to show my gratitude." *** It's the "best" result and the one that should show the most gratitude, i think***

#3 Saved Houses+Great Hall ---> +5 renown; Solvi's Method;

#4 Saved Market ---> +5 renown; I assume it is a positive act, that should always give a bit of renown, you have of course saved people there.

#5 Saved Market+Great Hall ---> +5 renown; He clearly say: "Still, you've done a great thing here; I should be more thankful", so a bit of renown for a great thing it's fair to me.

#6 Saved Great Hall ---> Nothing, he's upset you saved those bastards instead of the families. ***completely removed that strange +10 clansmen +33 fighters***

#7 Didn't Save anything ---> Nothing.

The first post is updated with the GDrive download link, this one : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...WZrR3FUN1VoMk0

In the next hours/tomorrow i will update the Nexus, Steam Forum and this same description with detailed info on fixes and corrections.

Ah ok, the way your first post put it, it sounded like #4 would be in-addition to the 5 renown from #1 aka a total of 10 - but ya I agree with this latest post.

Were you able to see what I meant about

Ah ok, the way your first post put it, it sounded like #4 would be in-addition to the 5 renown from #1 aka a total of 10 - but ya I agree with this latest post.

Were you able to see what I meant about
    Yes! I understood all, don't know if i was tired or it was the Flu, but today all was clear :/

Well, the mod is updated, Steam's Thread and NexusMods' page are updated.

Only the first post need much more updating since i am not just listing what's fixed but how and why it's fixed and this is taking a bit of time.

If you want just an updated changelog, take alook here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/281640...2547949258696/ or here: https://www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2/?

Now that i've SSLATBS2 (Spared Some Love Also To Banner Saga 2) i am a bit outta of Love and tired.

I must confess:

After 250 hours of playing BS2, of which the major part is for testing purpose, the games is starting to be a little boring
    Last edited by YaK; 11-20-2016 at 12:17 AM.

@Aleo, yes my post above gave a high level explanation of how to define a new flag

-first I would define a new flag in saga2.json called "9_oli_ate_leaves"
    You basically just create an empty block inside saga2.json with the flag name
    And what about the scope of that flag/variable? Is it only inside sagaX.json, or is it "exposed" to all game files/scripts? Can you create a new global flag/variable as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    And what about the scope of that flag/variable? Is it only inside sagaX.json, or is it "exposed" to all game files/scripts? Can you create a new global flag/variable as well?
    It's "exposed". Just a declared variable, like in every C-like language (not considering it is json )

It's scope depend on what would you do.

If you take a look at the Morale/Starvation overhaul, in the saga.json.z i've declared a new variable, "starving" to use like a simple counter for a "while-do" loop iteration.

Cool, thanks.

It's time for my new Saga2 playthrough, so I will install the mod and try to keep my eyes open for bugs, old & new alike I'll only refer to the first post in this thread, eh? I suppose it contains all pertinent and updated info. Also: I'm disabling auto-update for Saga2 on Steam, just in case

Do let me know when you're done with including all modding info in the first post, about the edits/deletions/modifications of the game files, so that I can forward it to John & Arnie.

Of course, i'll probably finish in a day or two, i've all tracked right now, just need to write and format them in a correct and comprensible way, possibly something resembling english .

Patch installed. Made this custom start-screen logo, to remind me that I'm playing your modded version

Located in folder:
    Code:
    ...\Steam\steamapps\common\tbs2\assets\saga2\scene\cin_start
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 11-20-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Never tougth of that! It will definitively need to be added in the next version of this and SSLTBS1 Fixpack!

Went back over my list to check against your change log, just wanted to confirm a couple things with you.

-Did you keep my change to convo\part9\cnv_9_rnd_oli_gather2.json.z that addressed this concern?
    The line “He seems oblivious to the trouble he caused with the mushrooms.” seems to indicate that there was supposed to be some additional outcome from the previous event (likely tied to the flag 9_oli_ate_shrooms) since this hints at design elements not in the release version... bug?

-My fix to leaving Bindal was only partial, do you think the same number of clansmen should be added when helping to clear the gate as when looting the greathouse or trying to battle your way out?
    convo\part11\cnv_11_pop_post_battleoutside.json.z
    convo\part11\cnv_11_pop_bindal_gates.json.z
    convo\part11\cnv_11_pop_bindal_greathall.json.z

I'll also list the unfixed/unfixable bugs just so others can see what is left to do, if not by us then by the devs:

If you import a save from TBS1, it by default does NOT give you the kills and renown earned from the Bellower fight, and if you try to force it to do so by renaming your "resume.save.json" from just AFTER that last fight to "sav_finale.save.json" TBS2 rejects the save as being from a completed game (bug?)
    NOT Fixable

If you click on the volunteers you will be committed to this path with no way to go back to the Houses option above, bug?
    TODO: might not be fixable

All options lead to the same result; option 3 implies a gain of supplies but none are added, bug?
    Last edited by Drake713; 11-20-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast