Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What happened to the gods of The Banner Saga?

What happened to the gods of The Banner Saga?

Coming to the community I've decided to replay the saga from the beginning and i'm afraid i'm a little rusty. so far in my new play through they've referenced the death of the gods a few times and was just wondering if there was a definitive answer to how the gods died or if its something that will be explained as i play?

I didn see any answers on this question in TBS1&2. Hope 3rd part put everything in its place

Juno, in Chapter 7 (at Stravhs' godstone), provides the nearest thing we have to the "true story". If I'm not mistaken, she says that they supposedly killed each other with weapons made of some special material (magic silver?) that the god Stravhs procured.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Welcome to the community, Spat, that's an excellent question! Now I want to replay both games. Again.

Forgive me if i am incorrect but i believe at some point in the first game Juno hints or or implies that the gods may not be as dead as everyone thinks..hmm wonder if in the third game they will touch on this?

It will surely attempt to "wrap up" some open issues, but I don't think it will provide straight-out answers to everything. It's better to keep some mysteries unopened, as fodder for next games in the franchise

My current theory is that the gods did all kill each other with Stravhs' silver weapons (though I suppose Stravhs could have survived), and that Juno/Eyvind broke the world by trying to become gods themselves.

Although, some of the gods' magic does seem to be floating around in the godstone scenes.
    Last edited by Ratatoskr; 02-06-2017 at 03:22 PM.

hi hi

I get the feeling that Juno's explanation at the Stravh's godstone is only a small part of the story. I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the nature of death in general in the Banner Saga universe. There do seem to be some implications that some sort of afterlife might be a thing, so the followup question is, if there is some kind of an afterlife are the gods chilling there too?

Good question, icekatze (and welcome! ). Things _are_ quite fuzzy about death & afterlife. But, there's surely an anti-nihilist/positive tone, i.e. that it's not necessarily over when you bite the dust! I suppose Juno has her reasons to hide stuff from Rook, but she doesn't expose much more to the Serpent in the "interludes" (in Saga1 and Saga2) either. Stoic _are_ adamant that the gods are indeed dead, but they're not clear what "dead" means As I read in someone else's theory-crafting, Eyvind+Juno's acts definitely messed up with the concept of "death" somehow; we're sure to find out more in Saga3!

hi hi

Maybe the Gods decided the world of the living was a mistake and decided to move on to the next one? Maybe it's worlds all the way down. :P

Seriously though, even if they are out of the picture, it seems like they've still left plenty of things behind. Not least of which are the people they created. One wonders what other, less obvious creations are still lying around.

I wonder if the mystery of the dead gods is tied too closely to the plot/story of The Banner Saga. I suppose it is, else they would throw in more details to make the world & its lore even more elaborate, and tragic...

Either that, or the developers simply overlooked it and left it to everyone's imagination as to what happened next. Similar to literature and how we try to read 10 layers beneath the surface when Shakespeare may have been simply trying to write a damn story but was probably dyslexic, resulting in such complex sentences to appear. Then here we all are analysing each sentence and trying to tie parts of the story back to his life as representative metaphors.

BIG FAT BS3 SPOILERS BELOW

In BS3 it's revealed that the Gods are truly dead. Juno gives a condensed version of the story that I'm going to paraphrase to the best of my ability. I regret not screen-shotting the entire conversation. The Loom-Mother created life through magical weaving and created humanity. Her favored were the Valka, who she taught how to weave as well. Another god took her creations and merged them with yox to create the Varl, and another made the Horseborn. Another god, jealous of the Loom-Mother created the Dredge in mockery of her creations and hid them in a world within the world (I can't remember if the inner world was made by him or if it already existed). Along with that, he created a great black sun that doubled as an egg of the great Serpent. His hope was that if the Dredge could never end Humanity, one day the Serpent would grow to it's full potential and hatch: devouring the whole world.

In retaliation, the Loom-Mother punishes the Jealous God. In surprise to both herself and the rest of the Gods, through the creation of life she had created death as well. The Jealous God dies, and all the Gods react in fear. None can imagine the concept of no existence. Things fall to chaos, and they all kill one another.

Some things we know:
    The Jealous God is most likely Stravhs.
    -His Godstone is the stone Rook pulls the silver from to create the arrow in BS1.
    -It is also the Godstone that the Dredge seem to almost revere and worship.
    -A thing to note, though, is that there is a story that Stravhs smithed and sold silver weapons to the other gods that they killed each other with which would either imply previous knowledge that death existed before the Loom-Mother killed him, or that there was strife between the Gods before he started pulling Dredge and world killing Serpent related shenanigans.

Hadrborg created the Varl.

As a side note:
    Perhaps, a god survived. Maybe even more than one. I only noticed this during my current replay of BS2. At the Godstone to Aselei, if you follow the right string of events, you spot a mysterious robed woman slip in and out of your tent. The next day, you notice you have an artifact in your pouch. I also saw someone mention of Reddit that Alfrun brings up the possibility of new gods? I don't have any sources for that, though.

It's certainly worth wondering - if the gods all killed each other, how did the last god die, once all the others had fallen?

@penna -- We've asked Stoic writer (Alex Thomas) about the "jealous god" being a reference to Stravhs, but he said no. Maybe the Dredge are attracted to that godstone for some other reason whatsoever.

@Tenebrais -- I suppose the last two combatants mortally wounded one another :P

I agree, this would be similar to norse mythology. During Ragnarok, there are multiple instances where two great figures fight and kill one another.

Thor and Jormungandr, Heimdall and Loki, Freyr and Surtr. In each of these fights, both combatants die.