Thread: Help with King Meinholf

Help with King Meinholf

Hi,

I am completely stuck at the king Meinholf fight and am looking for any tips or strategies. I'm just hitting a brick wall at that specific fight, even on the lowest difficulty, while the rest of the game gave me no trouble whatsoever at normal difficulty and at that point I have no idea what to do, I just feel like extremely underpowered. Basically, there is a steady stream of elite guards coming in faster than I can kill - most of the time past the first couple turns, I have exactly 0 chance to hit and I'm just getting slaughtered.

Is there anything I can do? Any strategy I might have missed? I'm just about to give up

Hello there, and welcome (I moved your post to the appropriate subforum, which is this, "The Longhouse)

From what you're saying, it seems that you decided to side against the King (with Rugga). This option leads to a tricky fight, that can be won easily with some specific strategies: Remember that your goal is to KO the King, not anybody else; note that any STR damage done to the King is "transferred" to the Guards until they are no more; finally, note that ARM damage done to the king does not get transferred to the Guards! And, this is the key to this fight: You need to bring your ranged ARM-breakers (archers with +BRK items) in-range of the King in order to break all his ARM. The King is often reckless, meaning that he engages you in melee combat. When his ARM is gone, hitting the King will instantly maim his Guards. Moreover, if you got an Archer poised for a Puncture shot at the King (whose ARM is now zero), the massive damage will probably kill a couple of his Guards. You can bring a couple of Varl heroes to this fight, but the narrow spaces might get them trapped. Archers and raiders and lancers are you best call here; even the Horseborn heroes.

Good luck!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Agreed, ranged armor break is the main answer. Of course, I think that ranged armor break is pretty much the answer to everything in tbs - but here especially.
    If you happen to have Egil or another raider with the blocking ability, you can also stick them out front to soak up damage and help keep your archers healthy until they get a killing shot.

Hi,

thanks a lot for the tips, with this strategy I was able to win the fight for some reason, other strategy guides I was reading were recommending to go after the elite guards first. Going straight for the king proved to work much better for me indeed

I enjoy the roleplaying aspect of the fight so if I'm siding with Rugga against the King, I use the same tactics Rugga uses. You might notice that the poison damage from Rugga's dagger does not transfer to the guards - it directly eats at the health of the king. If you bring either Deidre or Canary and hit the king with a rank 3 poisoned spear, he will lose 4 health every time he takes a turn. I usually just hit him early and then run my heroes away to a corner and let the poison do it's work. 5 turns and the King falls over. Rugga would be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Auria View Post
    thanks a lot for the tips, with this strategy I was able to win the fight for some reason, other strategy guides I was reading were recommending to go after the elite guards first. Going straight for the king proved to work much better for me indeed
    Congrats! I presume you didn't have difficulties in the... following battle, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandia View Post
    I use the same tactics Rugga uses... I usually just hit him early and then run my heroes away to a corner and let the poison do it's work. 5 turns and the King falls over. Rugga would be proud.
    You... evil snake! Where's the honor in that, I ask thee!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Honor is for the living. I doubt that Meinholf is in any condition to complain!

@Islandia - I like it. It's very Rugga
    I might have to try that sometime.

Another tip for people who struggle with this battle in Survival: Position your units far to the right as it forces the archers to come out of their hiding places. It also gets easy to control the enemy forces using Troll Stones, RoA or Malice at the chokepoint on the right side of the central trash pile.