Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: For the Love of God, Choices!

A familiar structure to me! Reminds me of Tactics Ogre:

There were no good, right, or wrong choices in Tactics Ogre, just choices. The choices you made affected who lived, who died, who you'd encounter later, and how you'd make your way to the game finale. The three main paths you could veer to or from were Chaos, Order, or Neutral, and you could veer away from a path as well if you strayed too far down of it since they do intersect at times (like Alex' handsome chart there suggests also). Ultimately, it made big differences in who you fought for and whether you moved on to rule the continent as a tyrant or acted as a kingmaker for someone else (or just left it up for grabs even).

There were also a couple of sidequests, all timed, that required you go to certain spots on the map before X number of battles or days had passed, or else you'd miss out on side stories and extra characters. Non-essential and tied to other time limits imposed on you, so you always had to make that choice of whether to pursue or ignore.

Once you finished the game, the power of the World Tarot allowed you to go back to certain branching points and replay from there without having to restart. In this way were you able to discover just how differently your life (and the lives of those around you) could have gone and watch all those scenes that you missed out on. It's a good system, and it looks like Banner Saga will be employing something similar. Exciting!

A TRPG of clan survival based on a time factor and events that are influenced by it and precedent events does look extremely unique.
    I know no other TRPG where the world revolves around events with you having to undergo its harshness, copared to most games where the events wait for you to "activate" them.

I'm hoping it's this lack of user activation that gets me to finally finish a TRPG. Much as I enjoyed titles like Tactics Ogre the ability to sit and regrind through past battles tends to grab me and then ultimately weary me. A little more forced forwards momentum could be just what I need to kick that habit!

Yeah, if I can get the Tactics Ogre without 7 hours of auto-battle to level up my unlocked new/unique classes, I'm all for it!

I love the fact that the story doesn't sit around waiting for you to become T3H UB3R \/1K!NG!! and gives you more than two or three big choices that will make or break the finale. :D Everything I hear is so in line with what I'm imagining the game will be. S'awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Eberict View Post
    Yeah, if I can get the Tactics Ogre without 7 hours of auto-battle to level up my unlocked new/unique classes, I'm all for it!
    That was hell, in the end having a finger / foot on the controller to pass the messages while both teams were on auto was what I did while doing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    That was hell, in the end having a finger / foot on the controller to pass the messages while both teams were on auto was what I did while doing something else.
    The updated PSP version removes the team training battles, actually. I had to auto-battle and police the PSP to make sure nobody died on the single map full of dragonkin... which was actually an improvement. However, I then had to fight a whole bunch of dragons and tame them and sell them and hunt some other thing for thirty 2% drop rate items. I got fed up, used a Game Genie-type thing, and just gave myself the items; I've had enough of 2% drop rate farming on WoW to last me a lifetime!

Exciting concept, that I am very excited to learn more about. I really like the idea of the story is not waiting for us, it just seems different and fresh.

Good posting knivesalot! Keep it up.

Agreed on having a few mutually exclusive choices, but just to complicate diagrams further, some if not most of these, should be affected by various choices not just one. Come to think about it, that's probably what you mean in aggregation .

More importantly, I'll be more interested on the "hopping" from event state to next event state and how it's done. It would be really cool if some supposedly "locked out" states could be achieved by doing something especially hard or really well. Like say your morale was so low, that next state's "optimal" state couldn't be achieved, but by winning the next battle without losing anyone and/or especially quick your morale boosted. In diagram terms, think starfox 64/lylat wars secret paths.

Good discussion everyone, may Banner Saga be stepping stone for game narrative! Skal!

A big yes from me for choices that really matter. King of Dragon Pass is great at this (at least the original 1999 version, I haven't played the new one), and there can hardly be a better inspiration for the Banner Saga than this classic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    A big yes from me for choices that really matter. King of Dragon Pass is great at this (at least the original 1999 version, I haven't played the new one), and there can hardly be a better inspiration for the Banner Saga than this classic game.
    Haha, Surtr, KoDP on iOS is the same, just ported and altered to graphically fit on the iPhone. The way it handles choices hasn't changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eberict View Post
    Haha, Surtr, KoDP on iOS is the same, just ported and altered to graphically fit on the iPhone. The way it handles choices hasn't changed!
    There are actually some slight changes. For example, you can no longer adjust the amount of crafters you have. This is because the standard strategy was for players to dial up their crafters to the maximum at the start of the game, as this was simply the best strategy. Hence, there was no need for the slider, and the iOS version doesn't include it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the iOS version might actually have a few more scenes than the original.

Agreed on having a few mutually exclusive choices, but just to complicate diagrams further, some if not most of these, should be affected by various choices not just one. Come to think about it, that's probably what you mean in aggregation .

More importantly, I'll be more interested on the "hopping" from event state to next event state and how it's done. It would be really cool if some supposedly "locked out" states could be achieved by doing something especially hard or really well. Like say your morale was so low, that next state's "optimal" state couldn't be achieved, but by winning the next battle without losing anyone and/or especially quick your morale boosted. In diagram terms, think starfox 64/lylat wars secret paths.
    Exactly!

So, if you make three choices that anger your warriors, you end up with an influential warrior leaving your tribe and striking out on his own. If you make eight choices that anger your warriors, half your warriors follow him. Etc. This is also aggregation, because, if that represented ten individual choices, we don't end up with 2^10th (1024) potential results.

The *other* thing to note is that not all choices need to be directly dependent on all other choices. Whether you anger your warriors or not with your food rationing, you can still come upon the same marshy stretch of land.

Kaffis post reminds me of the Never Winter Nights game which had a system for tracking your "relationship" (I forgot the term used in the game) with different factions. Every action or decision you make can positively or negatively affect your relationship with any number of in game factions.
    Last edited by AndyG; 05-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Resurrecting this 2.5y old thread

It was a good read, especially now, after the first part of the game was revealed. So, it seems that Stoic kept true to their word, and followed a more or less "extended braid-like" story line. For instance, in TBS1, I can easily identify what Alex referred to as "Events" the "situations" in Frostvellr, Ridgehorn, Einartoft or Boersgard, that could be handled in several different ways that were almost always available to the player right off the start (with some exceptions). Specifically:
    • @Frostvell: Stay outside or get in? (To get secretly in, you need Egil alive) Make friends with Onef/Ekkill or not?
    • @Ridgehorn: Tolerate Ludin's behavior or be rid of him?
    • @Einartoft: Meddle with the Varl's business or not? Destroy the bridge or help protect it?
    • @Boersgard: (To get inside easily, you need Sigbjorn) Prioritize supplies, refugee housing or fighting at the gates?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4