Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: About TBS3 - Comments to Stoic [SPOILERS]

About TBS3 - Comments to Stoic [SPOILERS]

Hello all,

First of all, bravo to Stoic for developing this game. I've been a Banner Saga fan since the first episode and this third one has again the good elements that made TBS such a great trilogy. I really like the new characters (especially the Witch) and the fact that the player's choices are critical for the narration - the fact that you can lose major characters for what you thought is the right thing to do but then you realize was a bad move is indeed brilliant.
    So I'm not going to highlight too much the good points because there are too many, but instead I would like to raise a few pointers regarding what I think could be improved, through a patch for example (where there's life there's hope ):

- The epilogue is very frustrating. TBS3 is the end of the trilogy, and this end could have benefited from at least a proper animated conclusion, supported by more writings and sceneries. I think current endings are not to the height of this superb saga.

- Starting a new game without importing a save is too disadvantageous and leaves very few options. For instance, you can allocate competence points to most of the characters at the beginning, but you can't choose their second special ability. This is very not optimal, as for example Hakon with Forge Ahead is a terrible option compared to Hakon with Tempest, without even mentioning Eirik who does not have the "invoke a Bear" ability and therefore becomes overall useless. It would have been very satisfying first to be able to make some narrative choice based on the previous episode which would impact our roster (here we can't choose between Egil/Eikkil for example), and second to be able to choose the second ability of the characters you have.

- Once again, tool tips are cruelly missing, especially since the introduction of the Heroic Titles (which are dope btw, I love it). I saw that for example, Death Messenger works with Rain of Arrows, but I don't know if it works with Bloody Flail, and above all I was very disappointed to see that Alette's Overwatch does not trigger The Forsaken Heroic title (yes, I told myself this combo would have been highly deadly on the battlefield). As a result I had to reload a previous save...

- Also, I fully agree with what Kaaboose said in another post about the fact that if you play well and have a lot of supplies you may not go back to Arberrang at all and miss a lot of battles, which in the end is a form of sanction. But, worst than that, there are several achievements which you can unlock only if you go back and forth to Arberrang hence always take the worst decisions (e.g. Looter and Double Blind).

- Finally, I know that the Survival Mode is announced to be present in TBS3, but honestly I was disappointed to see that it was not present in the first version of the game. Survival mode is what made me play 200+ hours to TBS2, and I was so eager to see it coming back for TBS3 with all the new characters ! I understand that for now we can deal with the History Mode, but it would be good to have at least some communication from Stoic regarding when we can expect survival mode and Eternal Arena to be released - are we talking about weeks? months? Any hint from the studio would be appreciated

So here are the few things I wanted to highlight, I'm not sure if it's the right forum for this kind of conversation to resonate, but I hope it can raise a discussion. Any comment/feedback from Stoic or from anyone in the community would be highly appreciated

Cheers,

L.

Thank you for the feedback, Lancelot. I will forward this to Stoic. Commenting on the points you raised, aggregating opinions I read throughout the forums (Steam etc):

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    1- The epilogue is very frustrating.
    2- Starting a new game without importing a save is too disadvantageous and leaves very few options.
    3- Once again, tool tips are cruelly missing, especially since the introduction of the Heroic Titles
    4- ... if you play well and have a lot of supplies you may not go back to Arberrang at all and miss a lot of battles,
    5- ... when we can expect survival mode and Eternal Arena to be released - are we talking about weeks? months?
    1- This is point brought up many times. Actually, it appears that the "optimized" endings are the least aesthetically pleasing, whereas the "bad" endings are more strong. This is correlated with point #4 (too few Arberrang-Returns misses out on content). In overall, I think Stoic went for a stark and grim ending note for the Saga, leaving a lot to the player to consider. The credits scenes add to that sentiment -- I hope you didn't skip them

2- We've been discussing this, yes. I don't know if Stoic will make changes here though.

3- Tooltips are a must, as the combat system gets more and more complicated, with new added features

4- Maybe some balancing is due here, to have the majority of players going through most of the Arberrang Returns, despite how "well" they did on previous games.

5- I think it's closer to months for SM. EA will come after and we still got no idea what it will be about!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Hello Lancelot, as Aleo said I will make sure the team sees your post so they can take in this valuable feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to help make the games great.