Thread: Builds for New Players?

Builds for New Players?

So I'm new, and I'm just getting the maths and thought processes of this game into my head. I don't really know how to build my troops, particularly in regards to the willpower and willpower usage stat. Is there a neat list of troop builds, a few for each kind, made by expert players?

HI! thanks for posting battlesloth! please head to the beta discussions area, and click on the first sticky. It has a list of the guides . I have one that's just for you too.

https://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthr...mp-Discussions

My guide is the All-in-one guide. It has exactly what your looking for. If you have any suggestions just message me, post here, or leave a comment! Thanks and hope that helps you!

the thing is, there are a lot of good advices to take on how to play. but one of the best parts about this game is any build will do if you manage it properly.

i would recommend playing some battles with one unit of each kind, so to learn how can they work together. also because every class has something to offer and you'll be prepared to confront whatever you find thrown against you too. then maybe you start liking one kind of unit over the others and eventually you will find your own build.

on the stats, you can do great things abusing of willpower, and without it aswell. more strenght ? more armor ? think what are you going to do with it and choose.

anyway nothing's better than trying for yourself.
    Last edited by balnoisi; 11-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Definitely play using a lot of the units your first game or two and find out which ones you like. Be sure you have some high strength for killing and some high armor for protecting (these don't need to be the same units). Most importantly, don't be discouraged early. It's a learning process and as more units are released, new tactics will come up

If you don't want to learn the intricacies of a particular setup (with each unit having a specific role) then you can always do the following, and be reasonably effective no matter what you do:
    Break: Max it for everyone.
    Exertion: Max for humans, 1 point for Warhawk if you can spare it.
    Willpower: This usually doesn't need adjustment. If your build uses only one archer, consider giving her some extra Willpower so that she can put out more damage and run away faster.
    Armour: Max this for Provokers and Thrashers. Archers can leave it fairly low due to never being hit if you play your cards right.
    Strength: Max this for Warhawks, Archers and Backbiters. These are powerful offensive units that don't take hits well even with maxed armour, so focus on making their attacks count instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Armour: Max this for Provokers and Thrashers. Archers can leave it fairly low due to never being hit if you play your cards right.
    On Question about archer stat distribution:

Siege Archer max 7 Health
    Backbiter max 12 Health

Would you give your Siege Archer 7 Armor to survive a runthrough but be crippled with only 1 health or would you give her 5 Armor so that enemy will better kill him, because otherwise she is useless?

That's up to you really. The SA isn't useless for me even with only 1 health.

I guess what I want to know is if they are any mistakes or situations where a 4 would be waaaay better than a 3?

Break becomes really important if the enemy manages to keep a healthy archer armoured in the end-game (not that difficult if you play it safe), and you don't have anything that can do more than 1 point of damage through that armour. If you use Thrashers as Bloody Flail machines, Break isn't that important since you won't be making that many regular attacks anyway. Typically, Willpower and Exertion are the only ones that make a huge difference when only one point is concerned.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 11-23-2012 at 10:45 PM.

That's not necessarily true, if your aiming to survive, 1 point can make enough of a difference. A 7/7 SA can survive a full str BB run through, but a 7/6 SA will die. And a 1/str SA can still pop max 6 break if she still has willpower.

My first 'polished' build is pretty straight forward and easy to play:

1 Provoker
    2 Trasher
    1 Warleader
    1 Skystriker
    1 Axemaster

Axemaster placed forward, gets into enemy face as soon as possible - dont forget his special after moving!
    The Warleader has maxed Armorbreak and Willpower for maximum armor - dont save him for anything, if he gor off 2x6 Break, hes done his deed!

Rest is straight forward bashing..

Got me quite a few wins, tho i didnt manage to beat the really good guys with it

I agree with this build as a few of those wins have been against me

Quote Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
    My first 'polished' build is pretty straight forward and easy to play:

1 Provoker
    2 Trasher
    1 Warleader
    1 Skystriker
    1 Axemaster

Axemaster placed forward, gets into enemy face as soon as possible - dont forget his special after moving!
    The Warleader has maxed Armorbreak and Willpower for maximum armor - dont save him for anything, if he gor off 2x6 Break, hes done his deed!

Rest is straight forward bashing..

Got me quite a few wins, tho i didnt manage to beat the really good guys with it

Lately I've been going with two axemasters, one backbiter, a shieldmaster, a warmaster, and a skystriker. All non-warmasters have max break (and some exertion to make it a little meaner); it's been pretty effective so far. Working on some idea's with a second archer (preferably bowmaster). The big key so far has been the striker for board control, allowing me to have a couple breakers focus on one unit, leaving them open for one big hit.