Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Diablo III

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjer View Post
    Nah you contorted my meaning a little bit (thru no fault of your own) but what I meant by that was that the joy isn't in taking more numbers off the other guy because you acquired sweet gear, the joy is in FINALLY finding that rare gear with the Name and awesome stats and becoming more powerful because you FOUND AN ARTIFACT IN A HELLSCAPE.
    Yeah, the rarity makes it pleasurable too. I think the rarity and the good stats make it valuable so getting it for nothing is pleasurable, plus the suspense when it drops about what it is. Would you really feel that different if you chanced upon some guy who was giving the items away if it was very rare for a person to do that? I think it would be mostly the same feeling, maybe without the suspense. That many people that like this sort of thing compare it to gambling (but you pay with time instead of money) makes me think I am right.

Personally I come from the roguelike camp not the slot machine camp. But I guess speaking generally you may have a point there.

https://www.garath.net/Sullla/D3/D3.html

This explains why the auction house is a huge flaw.

About it making the game easier though, I think that flaw has more to do with the quality of gear being so random making the game impossible to balance. Why does everything have to be random? It shouldn't but it is because more people want it like that when finding loot and competing with others for gear. Plus for real money auction house reasons.

edit: So it is partially because of the auction house, because the auction house is part of the reason they designed it like that. Derp.
    Last edited by khorven; 01-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Shit, you know what? Monster powers fixes the balance issue. Unless you have a problem with choosing your difficulty and not being forced into one. So it's not a perfect solution but it's at least better than it was at launch. But the drop rate in the higher monster powers is poorly balanced I hear (it doesn't rise at a good enough rate). Plus you might be leveling too fast and not want to bother with the higher difficulties (though maybe that's good). Plus you can't play pub games with them.

Also it doesn't fix that all your characters' gold is pooled together. So if you beat the game in inferno once the fun in managing gold is gone. Then your gold is "imbalanced" so later games won't be fun in that respect. But you could always just give it away.

I wonder if the game is even playable now using the AH. The economy might be ruined, especially with paragon levels.
    Last edited by khorven; 01-08-2013 at 02:09 PM.

POE. It's free in like 2 weeks. IMHO the combat has nothing on D3, but the character customization and gear systems are much, much more fun. And the story is pretty interesting as well.

Torchlight 2 is pretty fun as well, but I hear that the visuals turn a lot of people off.

I didnt really read much on this thread but why i stopped playing the game (after buying myself the collectors(was 49 outta 50, waited in the line directly in the sun for 4hrs), being in the first wave of beta and buying 2 other copies for my then broke ass friends) is that if you take away all the loot theres no diffrence between you and a level 1 other then the skills you've unlocked, to me thats lame. theres no progression cause theres 2 much random loot. The games to far along though to change anything, the thing they could do is remove all the white items and just keep the blues but then because theres no stats the only items that are good are the ones with your main stat and vitality which in a total random loot system is rare.

The games just flawed and theres nothing they can really do to fix it. no skill levels mean they cant add +skill level items, all the mana resources are different so they cant balance the game to allow you to have items that are like enigma that give you a skill from a different class, like wtf were they thinking?

everything about that game is terrible it's like everyone that had a hand in the game never weighed the pros and cons, they didnt weight the pro's and con's of the resource system, the item system, the skill system, the stat system; every system in the games F'd so they cant do anything but make a new game.

Look at banner saga, theres stats so you can min/max to your play style and because all the stat's arent displayed people cant straight up copy you. In diablo 3 if you saw some1 better then you thats the same class you can just rip them off completely and you lost your edge. In banner saga i can beat people cause i can weigh the pro's and con's of a list and cause of my own hard(ish) work im better before we even make the first move but everyone has this option. In diablo 3 all that matters is the loot which you ahve to get from the auction house cause the loot chance is terrible so no one is unique and cause of the game having no pvp theres no skill involved cause in the engame you one shot almost every monster in the game or atleast thats how it worked in d2.

also not having a lobby system is a joke. I wanna be able to make a game called free so people join, raise the drop chance and then sure cause your in my map take what i dont want cause you helped me get the rarest drops... the list goes on the game cant be salvaged and its sad cause if d3 was just a straight port of d2 with widescreen i'd be playing that game now, atleast i found a gem like this game that please's my inner geeeeeeeky-F'in-ness.
    Last edited by R0113R C045T3R; 01-23-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2