Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How should I be playing the default team?

How should I be playing the default team?

I presume that the default/starting lineup (WL, TS, SM, SA, BM, BB) are provided for a reason. Can anyone offer any tips as to the best way to make use of the team (for the purposes of learning the game). So far I haven't found anything about this lineup that makes for good strategy/synergy.
    I'm dedicating time to one game in order to try and master it. I've chosen The Banner Saga to be that "One Game". Each week I'll be reporting on my progress within the game, as well as things I've learned outside of it. You can follow my progress via this link.

Ninja Foodstuff, editor of Control Command Escape

Default team will get you slaughtered pretty quickly since it's jack of all trade, good at nothing. Recommend you read the guides, make a build, and play a couple games. You'll probably lose most of them in the beginning, but you'll learn from your opponents and tweak your team to suit your play style. Good luck!

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Yup, pretty much what Darial said. The default team wasn't meant to be a great team, it was just a placeholder set as we added new classes. In the near future you'll have to build your own team from base classes anyway!

Thanks for the advice, but I think as a new player this isn't particularly clear. I'd expect to start the game with default loadout that's reasonably effective. Kind of like how Magic has its starter packs.
    I'm dedicating time to one game in order to try and master it. I've chosen The Banner Saga to be that "One Game". Each week I'll be reporting on my progress within the game, as well as things I've learned outside of it. You can follow my progress via this link.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaFoodstuff View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but I think as a new player this isn't particularly clear. I'd expect to start the game with default loadout that's reasonably effective. Kind of like how Magic has its starter packs.
    Hey NinjaFoodstuff, totally valid point. Right now we have so many things going on in beta that it's a real challenge getting to everything we need to. At the least, the default party gives you a lot of characters to try out and see what suits you so you can specialize based on your own play style. I'm not even sure what kind of default party would work well for everyone, but I'd definitely recommend mixing things up a bit instead of trying to make the default team really sing.

Biggest appeal to the game, in my opinion, is trying new ideas and fine tuning your characters. Some players try to make a team that can handle any situation while others prefer to come up with a very specific strategy and then optimize the character stats over time.

Thanks Alex.

I would add this caveat: Some player classes are clearly more defensive than offensive. If you close to include them build to their strength. The opposite is also true. If you choose to include one or more primarily offensive units build those units to emphasize their strength.