Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Banner Saga SP or MP??????

Banner Saga SP or MP??????

Hey all,
    Not much happening in KS comments for some reason.So i thought i would write here.
    I backed Banner Saga early on understand that this is primarily a singleplayer game.
    My concern is, that it seems a lot of time and effort seems to be being funnelled towards the free Factions multiplayer component. Wouldnt it be better to have the time spend working on the AI etc so the singleplayer game is balanced and polished etc?. Bit concerned about the whwhole emphasis at the moment on Factions.

thanks
    Nigs

i think you gotta look at it like this; the only way for them to truly balance the game is to have fresh eyes play the game and without a multiplayer beta the only way they could get this is to maybe release a small portion of what they have already done so we could break it and tell them what doesn't work. but then we'd all know intro and it could spoil the entire story. Honestly i dont think they should release any information on the story cause writing's pretty personal and criticism of any kind could really hurt the development. at least we can all safely say the core mechanics of the game are really fun, its a fact.

fun quote about writing
    "If you loved what you're writing & now you hate what you're writing, you're halfway through."
    Thats pretty standard lol

fun quote
    "You know how sometimes as you fall asleep your whole body jolts you awake? That's a ghost finishing sex with you."
    I should really know some quotes from some smart people, not random writers for snl....

The work for the MP is also meant to be part of the single player in the larger scheme of things. (Besides purely multiplayer concerns like tournament and ranking), all the stuff like the combat system, balancing, combat boards, feautures, art assets, etc. are all gonna be in the sp. Hardly any wasted work, and on top of that they get player input on what works and what doesn't so far, as well as what could be fun and intersting in the future.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Yes, we are using pretty much every part of the buffalo here. Some of the most difficult and complex game development challenges of The Banner Saga are being completed and polished via Factions. I can say unequivocally that if we had not spent a few months running a Beta, our combat system would be no where near as fun as it is now. We've been steadily working on Saga-only content all along, and hopefully soon we will provide an update highlighting all the cool stuff that is waiting in the wings (without spoilers, as R0113R C045T3R mentions).

Quote Originally Posted by smurfinaus View Post
    Hey all,
    Not much happening in KS comments for some reason.So i thought i would write here.
    I backed Banner Saga early on understand that this is primarily a singleplayer game.
    My concern is, that it seems a lot of time and effort seems to be being funnelled towards the free Factions multiplayer component. Wouldnt it be better to have the time spend working on the AI etc so the singleplayer game is balanced and polished etc?. Bit concerned about the whwhole emphasis at the moment on Factions.

thanks
    Nigs

I share your concerns about SP as well. There is nothing visible about SP progress behind Factions. Are they able to say at least when SP is planned to release?

Fedon, I believe the next update for kickstarter backers will have more single-player info. Arnie said in chat yesterday that right now the estimated release for Chapter 1 is "mid-2013". Since Factions was originally estimated to be released in Nov 2012, and is being released Feb 2013, I can imagine that the single-player Chapter 1 will be released a few months behind schedule as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fedon View Post
    I share your concerns about SP as well. There is nothing visible about SP progress behind Factions. Are they able to say at least when SP is planned to release?
    Fedon, I can understand how the approach to begin a single player campaign with the multiplayer component might seem awkward at first. And honestly, in the absence of what I have seen from the developers on the forums I probably would have similar concerns. I truly believe Stoic has the best intentions here, and they have not said or done anything to make me think otherwise. In a vaccuum, it actually makes complete sense that they wanted to publically test the combat portion of the game alternative to releasing an unpolished or potentially highly variable combat system for the single player component (i.e. many changes after release).

Additionally, Stoic has also stated that components of the single player game will actually directly influence the multiplayer component (units you unlock in the single player become available in the multiplayer). So in a sense, this is not really direclty comparable to the current wave of free-to-play (FTP) games with designs that deter players from the most fun play experience unless they commmit to monitary benchmarks throughout.

To me I think the scary part from FTP games is whether you will eventually be asking yourself "should I stop playing or pay to progress?" as from my experience alot of FTP models force you to eventually either persist through an un-fun / repetitive grind or pay up. If Stoic turns the un-fun grind into "playing the game" than it really will be a non-issue. I have come to absolutley love these developers and Factions, so I truly believe that they have these same considerations that we have at heart.
    Last edited by Slimsy Platypus; 01-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.

These are printing plates. I like the quality as well. Stoic studio is developer of them. I appreciate their work & efficiency.
    Last edited by beacon43; 03-20-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Hy, just signed in to the forum and started reading stufs...
    For the start, I only bought the game for android as my time only alows playing on the phone (luckily a Note 3).
    That is enough introduction and off topic so once more what I said on facebook:
    "I would like to see some more stuff ... the game seemed to be short, but long enough not to be boring, just ... I would like to see a sandbox mode where you lead another character who paralel with the story walks the realm an it dosen't have to have a specific story... it can have a simple story that he left from a northen willage when the invasion started and he meets some more caracters in the way who will join the party. The story dose not has to end and we can have in that sandbox mode the sidescroling sites where his caravan walks and randomly encounters allies and foes who he defeats or make them join the. The principle of having warriors and varls on the team as numbers could still remain and on the random encounters should be some big battles as in the main story. It would sort of never end (except if youre main hero falls) and let's say a lead board should tell other players who is in the top of wallking the most days and with the most suplies, warriors and varls. What say you ? Also, if it is possible to implement in the same sandbox mode the multiplayer so there would be a button and you can randomly encounter (or selected from a list) online players whose defeat would add food, varls and items to youre side or even lose them (it would not affect the main character if he dies). The same thing, lead board should indicate top players."