Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Had a great first visit with Austin Wintory...

I just wanted to pop by to say to Mr. Wintory that I'm glad that you're on board with The Banner Saga. I was going to buy it when it came out on release day (if it got good word of mouth, which I was sure it would ) But it was YOUR involvement in the project, as well as the fact you'd be getting to work with a full orchestra, that convinced me there was nothing more than an infintesimal chance this project would be anything short of awesome and so I immediately backed for all three installments of The Banner Saga and your soundtrack which is sure to be amazing .

Journey was an amazing, personal, glorius, and deeply spiritual experience for me. And I'm an atheist who normally looks down on talk of the spiritual . And your music was one of the key things that REALLY helped me get into the experience thatgamecompany was trying to make. Looking forward to the final product from both Stoic and you.

@Cobra - loved this post! You're far too kind but know that this means a lot to me. A non-religious, highly personalized spiritual experience was our highest goal for Journey. One we thought achieving would be next to impossible. Getting feedback of this sort is truly beyond meaningful ...

And yes, already in heaven working on TBS. Stoic is an awesome team, as is the sound team K-Pow!

Quote Originally Posted by Khar View Post
    While I really enjoyed Jeremy Soule's Skyrim soundtrack I can't recall the melodies without hearing the songs. If that makes sense! Even though I've played that game with the soundtrack on for over 150 hours I can't summon up how any of them go other than the main theme while I'm typing this.

Whereas 'hummable' themes (I recall Peter Jackson banging on about how he demanded that the LOTR soundtrack was hummable) can really add something to a game. Even after so many years since I first played the Ultima games I can recall every note of Stones like it was yesterday.
    yeah i don't remember skyrim's music neither. i guess it did it's part as a piece of the whole experience. i do remember the songs the bards sang, and i didn't like them. i didn't understand how anybody would ask the bards ingame to play those more than once.

also i understand this is not the place for everyone to pour their favorite soundtracks, and on a previous comment i talked about how Bastion's songs worked miracles for that game but if you excuse me i just remembered another one that struck me back then, and to this day : ben houge's work for Arcanum.

that was quite the game, and the beautiful music felt bigger than videogames (even if Arcanum is still one of the best computer rgps ever), it's the only videogame soundtrack i've listened to outside playing it's corresponding game.

probably the tracks i like the most :
    arcanum caladon
    arcanum wilderness

consisted mostly of a string quartet that sounded so powerful. the qualities of an ensemble like that, playing the slightly sad, melancholic music of mr. houge (of whom i don't know any other works) = doing more with less, as opposed to the full orchestra and 2000 voices choir of skyrim or any other of those superproductions that end up sounding bland and indistinguishable from one another, very professional but unremarkable.

not that i complain about using such a wide range of instruments. but sometimes it looks as a show-off, like the guy that buys the sports car and then only drives it to the supermarket and back if you know what i mean.

again, not bitchin' here, just ramblin' i'm sure we're in safe hands with mr. wintory in charge of TBS music.

Quote Originally Posted by balnoisi View Post
    it's the only videogame soundtrack i've listened to outside playing it's corresponding game.
    This little snippet completely sums up what separates a good game soundtrack from a great one for me. There are very few game soundtracks out there that I would listen to on a casual basis, and most of them either have vocals or are just really stand-out and take an active role in the experience. Obviously, most games need some amount of ambient background music that takes a passive role, but those kinds of songs will never make an impression on me.

Say what you like about Skyrim's overall music- but they really succeeded in hitting a powerful and memorable main theme. When I first heard that in the trailers it really brought excitement as to what was to come.

I've got say the Skyrim theme tune and this song (Don't listen if you haven't finished the game there's spoilers)(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2uyWOlKGcM) are both really powerful and awesome in my opinion. I also think ambiently this is very powerful. Really captures a sense of magesty: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjWRFkcJ5I)

I've listened to quite a lot of game soundtracks outside of the game- Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, loads.

I've got to say, the one game where the soundtrack (the main theme at least) was better than the actual game to the extent I still listen to it is Dungeon Siege- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK4FZCGums
    Last edited by Kaffo; 05-17-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffo View Post
    I've got to say, the one game where the soundtrack (the main theme at least) was better than the actual game to the extent I still listen to it is Dungeon Siege- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK4FZCGums
    Given your enjoyment of Elder Scrolls it's not surprising

Game soundtracks are funny beasts when it comes to listening for enjoyment. For instance, two games whose music I really enjoy are Planescape: Torment and Grim Fandango, but they don't especially work for straight up listening. There are so many little melodies and things that are meant for looping or are incidental, that they just come across fragmentary and weird. But in context they work perfectly.

Then there are others where you assume they blended into the background, but the second you actually hear them out of context, you realise how much they stuck and what great pieces of music they are. I've had that happen a ton.

Anyway, for great game music work that hasn't already been mentioned, I feel obliged to point towards Peter McConnell and Jared Emerson-Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by balnoisi View Post
    consisted mostly of a string quartet that sounded so powerful. the qualities of an ensemble like that, playing the slightly sad, melancholic music of mr. houge (of whom i don't know any other works) = doing more with less, as opposed to the full orchestra and 2000 voices choir of skyrim or any other of those superproductions that end up sounding bland and indistinguishable from one another, very professional but unremarkable.
    Funny you should say that, the very thing that I really love about Austin Wintory's work is I think he has an excellent knack for dynamics and the use of soloists. Out of interest, have you listened to the Journey soundtrack? There's a decent chunk of it here if not.

Much as it was the huge orchestral sweep of the climax of Apotheosis that had me blubbing like a baby when I played it (actually, I lie, it was long before that, but that was the point at which I could barely see the screen anymore), what I love is that for every thrilling orchestral climax, there's a wonderful solo cello, harp, or flute section, where the orchestra is absent, replaced with electronic instruments, or provides a subtle ambient background. It really means that the game covers the full emotional range and the soundtrack really sticks with you.

I'm half tempted to go further into this, but this post is super-long already (not to mention I feel awkward with the man himself around )

All this gushing over orchestral schores and none of us have mentioned the best game soundtrack to date- if the Banner Saga can come even close to Beyond Good and Evil in my eyes then I'll listen to it on repeat for a month!

Edit- and thanks for the soundlcoud link, I completed Journey in just the one sitting on release day and haven't yet gone back- so the score in the background will make my night's music!

Quote Originally Posted by Illessa View Post
    Game soundtracks are funny beasts when it comes to listening for enjoyment. For instance, two games whose music I really enjoy are Planescape: Torment and Grim Fandango, but they don't especially work for straight up listening. There are so many little melodies and things that are meant for looping or are incidental, that they just come across fragmentary and weird. But in context they work perfectly.

Then there are others where you assume they blended into the background, but the second you actually hear them out of context, you realise how much they stuck and what great pieces of music they are. I've had that happen a ton.
    Yeah that is always something intriguing. Some game have music you may never listen to outside of it, but you'd never thing about changing it during the game.
    And sometimes you have jewels that have blended so much in the game they're hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Illessa View Post
    I'm half tempted to go further into this, but this post is super-long already (not to mention I feel awkward with the man himself around )
    I feel quite honored to receive such thoughtful words about my work on Journey!! And you absolutely nailed the goal, which was to create a real dynamic arc by not simply blaring out my full arsenal all the time. It's safe to say that design aesthetic will likely works its way into TBS as well

But most importantly, you've no need to feel any awkwardness! I love chatting with you (all!) and welcome any questions, feedback, suggestions, etc!

I recently purchased the new Humble Indie Bundle(V), which bundles a lot of great games that also have great music. I especially liked how Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP incorporated music in to the experience. Somewhere there was a description for this game that said "Experimental treatment for acute soul-sickness", which I felt sums up the experience quite well.

I would be so bold as to recommend to Mr. Wintory(and everyone else) to play through this game. I am confident it will at least cure your soul-sickness, if you happen to be suffering from one, but it might even offer you a different view point on how things can be done. My intention, however, is not to give advice on how to do your job Should you feel intrigued, you can get the game for cheap, or even free, from the https://www.humblebundle.com/.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3