Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Questions of Multiplayer.

Questions of Multiplayer.

So Stoic have announced they plan on releasing a free multiplayer version of the game before-hand, complete with player cities, which is awesome, but I have a whole bunch of questions-

Customisation and peristance are two very important parts of multiplayer games these days, and with the cities and the crests we know these will be present in some form. What other abilities of customisation will we have? Will we be able to manipulate our Vikings appearances? Will we have the ability to give them names etc? This is a contreversial idea, but I would not be nessecarily opposed to some sort of item shop that sold purely cosmetic viking-appearance enhancers. I figure anything that gets Stoic more money for the development of the second chapter of the Banner Saga is a plus for me. Therefore so long as it did not affect gameplay in any way, I would see this as a bonus.

The other questions I have are about persistance. Will our warriors gain levels in multiplayer, what will victories and defeats infulence?

I can only imagine that the hand drawn and animated characters make extensive customisation prospects fairly unlikely- each permutation requiring a whole new slew of animations. Pallet swaps I can see (and the more customization the better) but I'm not expecting too many player choices on the visual side. That said, by the time you've chosen banners and crests and colours your ci and army will probably feel fairly tailored already.

What type of game is the multiplayer game going to resemble? What is a similar game do you think?

Also, since the single player seems to be very decision/diplomacy based, I would love to see type of multiplayer game where you aren't automatically fighting everyone!! Maybe a little diplomacy/negotiations could be included, seems like the right place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1000.miller View Post
    Also, since the single player seems to be very decision/diplomacy based, I would love to see type of multiplayer game where you aren't automatically fighting everyone!! Maybe a little diplomacy/negotiations could be included, seems like the right place for it.
    I would also like that. Maybe some mechanics that would allow players to assign different types of diplomatic relations besides war and peace. It seems a bit silly to make requests for features before we know anything about the game, though

True but the idea of multiplayer diplomatic relations does seem appealing!
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

While talking about player cities, Stoic mentioned that one of their eventual goals is for cities to be able to fight for territory. That would seem to imply not fighting for territory is what we're going to start off with, and why get rid of that when adding the new feature? So I've got high hopes for some basic form of diplomacy. Some reciprocal gifting between cities, some envoys, some raiding parties... (Yes, I consider raiding parties a form of diplomacy.)

I thought the point of the multi-player was to give us a feel for the combat, suggesting that hitting people with swords was probably going to be the core of the gameplay?

Quote Originally Posted by JokerAR View Post
    I thought the point of the multi-player was to give us a feel for the combat, suggesting that hitting people with swords was probably going to be the core of the gameplay?
    Hitting people with swords is going to be the core of the gameplay, but there's also some story involved, and the player-run cities adds an extra layer.

From one of the interviews they mention that there's multiplayer versus battles as well as a brief single player experience that can be considered a prologue of sorts.

I was thinking about the territorial warfare that The Banner Saga could have and I remembered this game called Knights of Honor. It's a bit like Europa Universalis, but with nice 2D graphics and a good take on territorial resources. In Knights of Honor you have 9 slots for knights, who provide you bonuses when governing the land you have conquered. You can for example have a builder who speeds up your building time or a cleric who provides a bonus on produced books to level up your knights.

I got a little side tracked - back to the resources. In Knights of Honor there are quite a lot of buildings, which provide you with different bonuses a bit like the knights. There were three different types of buildings: defensive, resource and unit buildings. The trick is that you can only build 18 buildings per city and you need to choose what you want to build in order to get the best out of your city. The cities have a set of tactical resources, which can only be tapped with a particular building, or you can choose to import an exotic good for a massively impacting kingdom advantage. Do you want the Varangians in Constantinople or would you rather have some exotic resource like Ivory imported in order to get even bigger bonuses later? A kingdom advantage was something that you gained after having like 6 different exotic goods. The exotic goods didn't do anything by themselves, but when combined you got a kingdom advantage like 30% faster sieges. I liked how these impacted your game in a meaningful way without the need for micromanagement of resources like food, wood or stone.

Maybe The Banner Saga could have something similar? You conquer a territory which has a set of resources for example like horses and salt and you choose to build a building that lets you tap into the salt resource, which then lets your army withstand or sustain a siege for 5% longer. Or you choose the horses that let your army travel 5% faster for example. These bonuses don't need to stack necessarily, maybe you could trade these to others in exchange of money or a different resource.

Here's a picture of a city screen:

That would be very interesting and also a huge amount of work! Does the scale fit in with a three man team and a Summer release date? I'm expecting something a little more disjointed: your hub city as a pretty looking matchmaking screen to find skirmishes against other cities which take place on a completely different battlefield. Wins and losses thus determining your experience gain with each level progression unlocking something cosmetic for your city/ troops or allowing access to more troop types.

13.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #13
    Vying for control of territory is something we would really like to do...someday. Right now we have our hands full with other matters. Don't look for this gameplay until after Chapter 3.
    I really want to check out Knights of Honor, thanks for the link!

Ooh thanks for posting about this! Never heard of it...ah...it's Paradox.

I keep hearing about all these great-sounding games, and wondering how I'd never heard of them before. And then...almost invariably...it turns out they're published by Paradox.

Okay. I think it's time to just go page through the ridiculous amount of games on their site and start updating my wishlist....

Glad to be of service

Edit: Paradox Interactive Weekend on Steam this(7th-10th) weekend!
    Last edited by lamaz; 06-07-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lamaz View Post
    Paradox Interactive Weekend on Steam this(7th-10th) weekend! :D
    fff- Why this weekend when I am at the poorest I've been in my life?! Fate is a cruel mistress.

Yeah I saw that! Picked up Knights of Honor for $5...and Crusader Kings 2 for $25. About 8 hours later, Crusader Kings 2 was down to $12.50. :/

CK2 has a steep learning curve, so after poking around at it for about 10 minutes I loaded up Knights of Honor.

And it's awesome! Thank you so much for the recommendation. Not only is it a solid game in its own right, it looks like it's going to be a good introductory game for some of Paradox's more intense offerings (CK2!)

Thanks again!