Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Banner Saga - Factions Wikia

The Banner Saga - Factions Wikia

Pretty much anymore, if I have a question on a game, I run over to their wikia page. Seeing how this game has a pretty decent learning curve, I'd think getting the wikia populated would be great for around launch.

The current wikia, as far as I can tell, only has kickstarter information. I think it would be a huge help if the wikia was being populated with just basics for the influx of new players.

This forum has some good guides and introductions already, but you need to search around a bit for them, and as forums go, the more users you have, the messier things become.

I don't know if there are any expenses to running a wikia for the content owners, but if there are, I could see why it might be necessary to delay wikia use.

But! ..if it works in normal wiki fashion then...

Here are some headings I think would be good to have (if you feel inclined to, please add more, and/or go over and edit! :P):

• Getting started
      Recruits
      Veterans
      Promoting
      Units
      Basic Mechanics
      Renown
    • Unit abilities
      Uses/Counters (for example, my friend just started playing and the first thing he did was use BF on a fresh SB, not aware of the feedback
    • Team Compositions
    • Strategies
    • Turn Advantage
    • Marketplace
    • Streams / Streamers (not sure if this would be appropriate on a game wiki, but there was talk about showing streamers the other day; it would just be another place to find them)

https://thebannersaga.wikia.com

I don't know if it's necessary to cover what's covered in the tutorial, like stats, moving, etc. but adding it could only help.

Well that's all I can think of right now. If I'm missing something or if this is a bad idea (like it would create a divergence between forums and wiki communities) then comment away!

Edit: I don't know if posted this in the right section.
    EditEdit: added link.
    Last edited by Dysp; 02-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.

I don't think there are any costs; doesn't the Wikia company run the site already and wish to continue to host it?

I don't really know how to use Wikia well, so I've put some information on a different site. Feel free to use info from it to fill in the Wikia site. I've pretty much only got the stats and the basics of combat rules:
    https://bannersaga.wikidot.com/
    https://bannersaga.wikidot.com/battle

As far as headings go, I was thinking it would make sense to model its structure after that of another wiki for a online turn-based tactics game: https://howdypedia.com/ However it is set up, it seems like good practice to separate facts from advice (turn advantage, etc.). E.g., on the wikidot site, you could make a page /guide:counters to put agreed-upon advice about counters. If there are disputes about what counters what, might as well leave that to the forums, or put it into a personal guide (which could be hosted on the wiki).

I think it is a good idea to duplicate the info in the tuturial; why not? It can be complementary, with the tutorial being designed to get you started; and the wiki as a reference.

I don't really know the feature-set of Wikia sites, but with the wikidot one, I can grab info from several pages to put all the stats in one place*, run a news or random snippet of info in the top strip, show a random unit on the front page, and set up paginated guides and easily visualized rosters.** The site's minimalist, but it has no ads or other unneeded overhead. If folks know how to use Wikia well, then we might as fill in that site instead, but I'll probably just round out the site I've been working on either way (it's been a one-fan project so far!). Here's the Wikia for anyone who's not the OP, by the way:
    https://thebannersaga.wikia.com

* And this is automated insomuch as I only need to plug in the base class (e.g., warrior) on the page with the grid and make sure each promoted class has the base class marked as its "parent".

** If you click the "source" tab on that roster page, you can see that it's fairly straightforward to plug in different team details.

Wow, it looks great so far. You've done a lot of work. The only issue is, it doesn't show up at the top in searches, even for a direct search. My personal habit is to usually search something like "game_name" or "game_name wiki" and the wiki will be right there at the top.

You're right about the fact versus advice part. They shouldn't be together.

Just curious, how did you get all the graphics? Are they from the game files? And do we need to get Stoics okay prior to posting, as they're copyrighted material? Copyright's always odd.. as it's broken so frequently, there's so many minor offences, it's not worth pursuing them all. Even in the case of goodwill, it may be officially unwanted. /shrug

Also, thanks for adding the site address.. forgot to do that. :P

Thanks! I changed the url from tbsaga.wikidot.com in the last week (which I'd initially taken because "tbs" was already in-use and "theBS" didn't sound too good...on further reflection, the acronym TB is almost as bad ). That old url shows up on the first page of a google search for banner saga wiki, so this one probably will, too, sooner or later. I think it could gravitate to the top if it's more useful. Also, try a search for something narrower and (for now) the old site is tops (e.g., banner saga wiki thrasher). If the community is large/enthusiastic enough to maintain the Wikia one as well, the more the merrier and there's no need to begrudge it the top spot.

The graphics are from the game itself. I asked if it was okay when I first brought up the wiki and got a response like "good stuff" from a dev, so I guess they don't mind for now. I'm not putting up or bringing attention to anything that's in files but not yet in the game. Raven also knew about the site, though he might have forgotten. Wikia is for-profit, but I think Stoic would regard the site as good free marketing (as they often say they have no money set aside for it). Stoic or one of the new mods'll post some guidance in this thread eventually, I guess.

I haven't forgotten I've just been busy with other things keep up the work on the wiki sites. They're invaluable!

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it like that. I initially wrote "raven knows", but then figured I'd better hedge and not overstate it, in case you had forgotten.

Hi Dysp,

I see you're filling in Wikia. I think it might be a good idea to somehow make the information less fragmented, so folks don't have to open so many pages to see what's going on broadly. For example, maybe lump the Siege Archer with SnB or lump all the Archers together, in separate sections on the same page. The same with stats: you could describe each in a section of a single page. I guess, ideally, we'd have some hover text over things like "Armor" that tell you what it is very briefly. I dunno, maybe that sort of thing can be knitted together later; just a thought.

Hmm.. I've been sort of mindless. I've just been trying to figure out what to do with the wiki. Right now I've just thrown up a mild structure. But you're completely right about the fragmentation. In my mind, this route seemed the most logical = easiest for me to set up. Really, if your wiki could climb the search engine ranks, it'd be the better one to use. The builds and stats tool you have looks really useful.

Since already I started working on the wikia, I at least want to finish out the units, so it's not a half-done project to that extent. It can stay as a basic, static info wiki.

Well, I've gotten basic info on most of the units up, but I haven't gotten to the Varl warriors. There's really nothing on the wiki yet like "getting started" or an explanation of basic mechanics, just plain unit info. I don't know if I'll have time right now to add all that stuff. I found that making dead links right away worked the best, so I didn't have to go back and link content, so there are still some of those floating around.

Looks good to me. There's still a week left before the public launch if someone wants to add a getting started guide or something. You could also add external links, maybe to some of the things listed here or to the post itself (which I'm sure Gudmundr will keep updated): https://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthr...ns-amp-Streams

Will get to it in a bit! Thanks franknarf!

I think I've gotten the wikia mostly populated with basics. Now, if anyone wants to actually post guides, walkthroughs, or other useful info directly on the wiki, then go for it! I'm not that experienced of a player, so I'll be staying away from that sort of stuff.

Looks good; that was fast!

You might want to "add category" to some of the pages (it's a button on the bottom), e.g., "building" "unit" "stat". That might make keeping track of things easier. And it would allow a reader at the "Great Hall" page to find the rest of the buildings from there; of course, you could do that by editing each page to say "the archer is a [unit] that..." "The mead hall is a [building] that..." and so on, too.

You could start a guide section with your "friend match" page, I think, as players will find that quite useful.

You guys want to take from my guide? I'd be glad to offer it up for the wiki sites. I don't mind if it gets edited by people later on. Might be useful as a skeleton.

Wow, that's quite a comprehensive guide. It might be a little daunting to be the first thing a new player sees as a whole. If you don't mind, I might try to chop it up and place on the wikia. Just trying to think of a good way to do that.

...on a side note.. I miss game manuals.

---

Thanks franknarf, those are good suggestions. Navigation right now is kind of a pain on the wikia. My brain runs on bubbleSort. So, I seem to take the slowest path possible.

Edit: didn't see the other post.
    Last edited by Dysp; 02-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Do as you will Dsyp.

Hi Raven,

I started copy-pasting your guide here: https://bannersaga.wikidot.com/guide:raven-01
    Only the seventh section is actually there now, with something like your original formatting.

Another downside of moving your guide to a wiki (besides of course giving up some authorial control) is that you miss out on Google Docs' convenient commenting feature. Each page on the wiki has a talk page that can be accessed via the "discuss" tab, so hopefully anyone who has a question but doesn't feel sure enough to edit can use that.

Thanks franknarf. No worries, and thank you for telling me about the discuss tab, that'll work

spot checking the wikidot while work is slow. will continue to correct errors and edit for clarity (so far only found one).

To any interested: raven's guide is fully wikified and editable now (which he said above is okay)
    https://bannersaga.wikidot.com/guide:raven-01

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast