Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Your Guide to Strand (upgrading characters and building a team)

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1

Your Guide to Strand (upgrading characters and building a team)

When you open the game you'll see the the city of Strand, the hub for everything in Factions. We'll be walking through how to set up your team and get ready for combat.

Welcome to Strand!
    We'll be adding functionality to each building as it comes online.

Right now, besides the buildings seen below, the Mead House is also in the game, where you can hire rookie or veteran units. Rookie units cost 10 renown. Veteran units come with 5 kills, ready to be promoted, and cost 50 renown (but cost 50 more renown to promote in the Proving Ground).

The Hall of Valor is also in the game, which houses the leaderboards. The Marketplace is where you can exchange real world currency for renown and unit skins, and other goodies in the future.

In the future, there will also be a building for achievements, for customizing banners (The Weavers Hut), and whatever else we might think of.

Mousing over any of the buildings will highlight them. You can also click and drag (same as in combat) to move the camera around the scene.

Hitting tab or the ? at the bottom of the screen will also bring up the building banners.

For now you'll want to head to the Proving Grounds where you can put together your team.

From here you can see all the units under your command. As mentioned, you get units from the Mead House, so you'll also be able to hire new units who are added to your roster.

The top row shows your active party. This is the team that will be going into combat. They take turns in combat based on the order that you place them here from left to right. To move characters around and add them to the party just drag them into the slots.

Let's click on a character portrait.

Here is your character upgrade screen. From here you can see all of your characters information: name, stats, rank and bio.

• You can also name (or rename) your characters to anything you'd like here.
    • On the right are your characters stats. You can see their current stat (the larger number) and the maximum stat they can have. Click on the icon to add points to each stat and the number will light up.
    • To add points left click on the stat you want to add to, to remove points right click on the said stat.
    • Make sure you press confirm when you're done adding points!
    • Note the stat cap at the bottom right. You can only add a limited number of stats per character before you hit the cap. You won't be able to max out any given character.
    • The Renown is the number at the top right, in the banner. Renown is like experience shared between all your characters. Each time you upgrade your character you use Renown.
    • The bio will give you more information on your class and your abilities.
    • Use the arrows to cycle through your active party.
    • Experiment with different builds! Even within each class you can make units that play in dramatically different ways. Maybe you'd like to try a Thrasher who does heavy armor damage, or a Sky Striker with high strength, but low armor. Each class has a ton of different possible builds!

Once you've upgraded your team and you're ready for combat, hit the back button to return to Strand.

Click on the Great Hall to enter it.

The Great Hall is how you enter combat. Here you can see your active party, and play versus, friend mode, or join a tournament.

Versus will let you enter matches with random opponents, where you'll earn 1 Renown for each kill. Friend mode will let you add friends and fight them for fun, but not earn Renown. Tournament will set you up for the weekly tournament where people compete on a weekly ladder, the winner gets bragging rights and their name/banner displayed in game for all to see, until the next champ.

Something to Remember?
    You earn one Renown per enemy killed on the battlefield. If you surrender, you forfeit your Renown earnings for that battle. Don't forget the other bonuses to renown you can get for logging in and playing everyday, as well as managing an ongoing winning streak. Also, don't fret about fighting an opponent ranked much higher, or with a stronger team, playing and finishing the match also entitles you to the underdog renown bonus, which can help you upgrade your team sooner.

Now get in there and slug it out!
    Last edited by raven2134; 02-21-2013 at 05:40 AM.

I think it would be nice for new players to have a list of upgraded units here as well.

Hi blood, in order that I may get some game time in, I have merely postponed the "Your guide to units" sticky that will be coming soon.

Alright, I have said nothing!
    I just remembered that the units were described in this guide in the beta forum.

You did indeed remember right! Good on ya

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If you surrender, you forfeit your Renown earnings for that battle.
    Damn it, this was not made clear in the game. I've been surrendering as a courtesy. I want to concede a game I know I've lost and get on with something else. Don't tell me I've been denying my opponents renown as well by doing this?! Why the fuck would you design a forfeit like that?

Quote Originally Posted by caesarbear View Post
    Damn it, this was not made clear in the game. I've been surrendering as a courtesy. I want to concede a game I know I've lost and get on with something else. Don't tell me I've been denying my opponents renown as well by doing this?! Why the fuck would you design a forfeit like that?
    You only loose your renown when you surrender, your opponent gets full reward.

Well that's at least better than being a 'flip the table' option. Still kind of bizarre that I can't actually concede a match. That's what you do in chess after all.

I believe he original thought was to encourage playing to the end and trying to get as many kills as you can even if you are losing. Not sure if that always makes sense in practice...

Makes sense to me. When you realize you're going to lose, the game stops being "how do I win" and becomes "how do I take down as many people with me as I can".

It also ruins the feeling for the winner when the opponent surrenders. Its quite annoying when your setting up a nice advantage and then hearing the horn sound and the game ends. You just feel like you wasted that 15-20 minutes.

Another quick question, now in this topic - what about ranking and promoting characters after the first promote? Seems like there is no option now to upgrade character rank
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Coming soon netnazgul, the next two things on Stoic's list are the tournaments and ranks 2-3

Expect tourney this week. Ranks 2-3 after, hopefully (and this is me, not them, throwing out an estimate), maybe a week or 2 after tourney.

In short, it's definitely in the immediate pipeline.

ah, ok. Just being away from the forums for long, so now I'm full of foolish little questions about small issues I'm stuck with that where answered somewhere I haven't seen yet
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

No worries I'm happy to update, and I think of it as my little job to do too . Nice to see you around again netnazgul, keep asking if you need more updates!