Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Your Guide to Units

Me too. Just lazy i suppose. i took the time last night to draw the proving grounds chart by hand so i can reference where all my units are with kills, etc. Helped with choosing who to upgrade rather than having to go through all three rows. i came here and went back and forth to help get who's who straight for upgrades and teams. Any way to put this information in Strand would be greatly appreciated. I do have a small understanding of your time constraints over prioritized tweaks to the game. Thanks for all you do.

Great overview, but I think I found a bug:

"Battering ram: Do 1 armor break to the target and knock them away 4 spaces, through any units standing in the way. ...

Battering Ram makes the Strongarm very versatile. Use it to push an ally like a Warhawk forward 3 spaces, ..."

3 Spaces because the Warhawk is 2x2 tiles. A human is only 1 tile. The landing zone is 1 tile closer to where the Varl originated from, because of his size.

So, does it mean it is like this?

Code:
    xxxxxxxx
    SSVVxxxx
    SSVVxxxx
    xxxxxxxx

=> 

xxxxxxxx
    SSxxxVVx
    SSxxxVVx
    xxxxxxxx
    -------------

Code:
    xxxxxxxx
    SSHxxxxx
    SSxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx

=>

xxxxxxxx
    SSxxxxHx
    SSxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx
    S: Position of the Strongarm
    V: Position of the Varl pushed
    H: Position of the Human pushed
    x: Empty field

I think I need to check. The ram should clear a varl through another varl if directly adjacent. A human can be cleared through 1 varl and 1 human adjacent.

Ok, based on your illustration,the spacing should begin after the tile the unit is on, counting until the one the unit lands on, the farthest. Ie put both 1 tile farther.

A human occupies the tile on the 4 space from where he is. A varl occupies the 3rd and fourth space from where he is.
    Last edited by raven2134; 02-25-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Regardless of hitting a human or Varl, Battering Ram will alwsys leave 4 adjascent tiles between himself and his target. The way I remember this is recalling my willpower-less SB not beingable to return to the Strongarm

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Regardless of hitting a human or Varl, Battering Ram will alwsys leave 4 adjascent tiles between himself and his target. The way I remember this is recalling my willpower-less SB not beingable to return to the Strongarm
    So, if that is true, I think the description should be updated and talk about 4 all the time.
    BTW: Was this changed recently? I think I had a StrongArm at some stage in Beta and it always left 3 tiles between him and the one he pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodaddict View Post
    So, if that is true, I think the description should be updated and talk about 4 all the time.
    BTW: Was this changed recently? I think I had a StrongArm at some stage in Beta and it always left 3 tiles between him and the one he pushed.
    Don't think so, there were changes over pushing 3 or 4 spaces away and the amount of break done on initial push. I agree that it can get quite annoying having to calculate it on the go how far BtR will push, especially with a varl and crowded space on expert timer. Rather than count tile by tile I find it quicker to imagine three varls standing in line in the direction of the push - first is the one you push, middle is where you want units to be to pump the break and the last 'varl-space' needs to be clear. Hope you get the idea

I upgraded to a Warleader, because I thought Forge Ahead sounded awesome, but the limited range, the fact that it ends his turn to use, it seems largely underwhelming. I upgraded a Skystriker next, because I thought I could maybe lay down rain of arrow in two spots early in the battle, but then I found using Forge Ahead destroyed the current Rain of Arrow, so it ended up having no synergy after all and was a huge waste of valuable turns (as well as my renown!) But I'm saddled with the classes I've promoted, and I figure I should try to make the best of it and see how to use them.

Currently I just use the Warleader as a powerful armor breaker early, but speccing for that makes him squishy and he'll die quickly afterwards, with 10 armor and 8 strength or 9 and 9. He's useful because he allows me to just tear into the enemies and kill/maim them early, especially since I run an archer heavy team with my Skystriker and 3 archers. However, I feel like a Warmaster or something would be more effective as he can armor break almost as well, but with much higher strength for killing power and bulk. It's just that if I'm not making use of the Warleader's ability, he's a sub-par class choice, yet his ability seems so underwhelming. Why spend a turn doing nothing but changing my unit order when I could be actively using the turn to shred my enemies to pieces? I can move a unit back up to the front of the unit order right after it acts, but again, most any situation where I'm standing next to them, doing that, it'd be more effective to just have another unit acting, especially if it's one of my varls like the Warleader.

It's the same for the Skystriker, her ability is very situational and only works if they aren't within combat range- if they are, just hitting them directly is more effective. I find myself using her as a standard archer with her only redeeming value being her higher exertion allowing for stronger willpowered attacks, but all of the promoted archers share that. Again, if I'm not using her ability she's a poor class choice, as something like a Bowmaster offers better armor break, and an ability which allows her to attack from long range and never miss, which is very useful when maimed.

Can you guys offer any tips as to how to effectively use a Warleader or Skystriker to maximum effectiveness?
    How should I be using Forge Ahead?
    Should I even be using it, or should I just use the Warleader as an armor breaker?
    What kind of team should I build around a Warleader?
    Last edited by Humblerbee; 02-26-2013 at 04:34 PM.

You definitely chose two sort of "advanced" or "finesse" classes as your first two upgrades, but fear not. My advice is to use them for what they're good at. instead of rushing frontline with WL as an early breaker, try to bait the opponent into a rain of arrows where you can then break safely when they are stopped in front if your own line rather than you overextending next to theirs. Not sure if you actually are rushing front with the high break WL but thats a common strategy with that unit. With the skystriker you want to use the rain of arrows strategically to protect high asset units, bait the opp into a bad position, and steal turn advantages back. You dont want to throw it out as a threat in any random spot, there is a logic to setting up good RoA traps. I'm not the best at it, but I love RoA. I think SS is my favorite unit next to maybe the backbiter. Warleader gets better as it goes, as Rank3 lets you forge ahead any unit on the field regardless of their distance from the Warleader, which makes him incredible for certain backline breaching combinations with raiders or even hit and runs with archers. Rank+ abilities should be coming soon. Both are incredibly powerful and versatile units once you learn to use them, so keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjer View Post
    You definitely chose two sort of "advanced" or "finesse" classes as your first two upgrades, but fear not. My advice is to use them for what they're good at. instead of rushing frontline with WL as an early breaker, try to bait the opponent into a rain of arrows where you can then break safely when they are stopped in front if your own line rather than you overextending next to theirs. Not sure if you actually are rushing front with the high break WL but thats a common strategy with that unit. With the skystriker you want to use the rain of arrows strategically to protect high asset units, bait the opp into a bad position, and steal turn advantages back. You dont want to throw it out as a threat in any random spot, there is a logic to setting up good RoA traps. I'm not the best at it, but I love RoA. I think SS is my favorite unit next to maybe the backbiter. Warleader gets better as it goes, as Rank3 lets you forge ahead any unit on the field regardless of their distance from the Warleader, which makes him incredible for certain backline breaching combinations with raiders or even hit and runs with archers. Rank+ abilities should be coming soon. Both are incredibly powerful and versatile units once you learn to use them, so keep at it.
    Yeah, it seems like a defensive combination of utility classes that rely on smart tactics, which is probably why I'm having trouble with them since I'm just using them mindlessly with aggressive zerg rushes on the opponents. The problem is I find a lot of the time if I don't approach the opponent won't either, leading to camp fests on opposite sides of the board with no clock and no progression. This is especially bad when I'm running an archer heavy team as they don't want to have to approach into the hail of arrows. I suspect it changes with more experienced opponents at higher team levels, but I'm not eager to go against higher level teams when I already struggle with level 1 and 2 teams as is.

What do you recommend teaming up with a Warleader?
    Which should I have for my other Varl, a Shieldbanger or Warrior?
    How should I split the 4 other slots, between Raiders or Archers?

Hi Humblerbee, a 4 archer team (did I understand right?) is a tough to play for people new to the game, and yes, people that haven't fought it...well even people that have, won't be rushing in more often than not.

That said, there are units that would be good at going at you, like the raidmaster.

For the warleader, warriors and backbiters tend to synergize pretty well.
    I'd recommend you try dividing the 4 other slots between archers and raiders both.

Yeah, 4 archers is a very archer heavy build (seriously, you are talking like... maybe 1% of the playerbase runs that) because protecting that many archers is something only a skilled player can do.

I love archers, they are my favorite units, and even I usually run 2 archers because I can protect them better than 3 archers (which is a real challenge to protect). I wouldn't even try 4 till I had a lot more experience.

Skystrikers are, in my opinion, the best unit in the game. The trap takes away a turn from your enemy, while still doing damage. That's massively powerful. Hit with 2 or 3 of them over the course of the game, and the turn advantage will have swung so far in your favor that it will be very hard for them to recover.

Often you are better off laying a stun to break an opponents combo even if you had a target in range you could just shoot.

As for warleaders... well, I stink at using them, so follow the suggestions of the people above me!

Since Siege Archers were nerfed, I would try to combine the warleader with one wor two kamikaze backbiters (low armor, high strength, high exertion and break). You let the BB act before the WL, let him break armor, then forge him ahead and use his special next turn. It's a bit situational, because you dont want the BB to get maimed between his turns, but if it works, it's quite effective.

Skystrikers are powerful when used correctly, but their usefulness varies depending on who you face. Unexperienced players will barrel forward into her Rain of Arrows, but players who have encountered her before will be more careful. Therein lies their weakness - you can bluff them and place the Rain not in the obvious place, but in a place they would never think to consider.

Warleaders work well with many specialized units on your team. If you have a Raidmaster and a Backbiter, and your enemy has just made an opening for his Warhawk to plunge into, call on the Raidmaster to plug the hole. If the enemy has brought his archer into range to try shooting your guys, call on the Backbiter to chop her up.

I don't know if Forge Ahead still grants Willpower to the target unit, but if so, it's also useful for spreading it to units that need to use their special.

Thanks for your advice guys! I've since picked up a Backbiter as my third promoted unit, and I'm loving it, and putting my other units to better use now. I've decided instead of playing defensively with traps, I play very aggressive. I like to have my Skystriker go first, and have her move just outside of attack range, laying a trap directly in front of the highest threat enemy. I have my Backbiter and Warleader immediately charge out to tear into my opponents armor with their high armor breaks and exertion, they can deal 6 or 7 damage each to an enemies armor on their first turn, leaving them highly exposed.

Basically my strategy is highly aggressive armor break assault early, and making good use of Puncture to give me strong killing power. I plan to eventually have a team of 1 Warleader, 2 Backbiters, 1 Skystriker, 2 Bowmaster.

I have a question about malice - what happens if provoker and target are not in melee range on target's turn (provoker went away due to turn advantage, target(or provoker) was thrown away by strongarm). Does unit just lose his turn? Or he moves and attacks? Or malice simply expires?

What if provoker already dead?

If the provoker is alive and is able to walk away, unless the maliced unit is an archer, the maliced unit will lose turn. If the maliced unit is an archer and the provoker moves away, he gets shot.

If the provoker dies, malice is no longer in effect, and the target unit may act.

Can somebody tell me how the shieldmaster works? His description is not very clear. Also how does the birds of prey work and does the bowmaster get additional range as a passive skill? Also I think this post should be sticked.

It's indirectly stickied, check out the one that says MUST READ! I haven't watched it yet, but there is also a fan-made video guide to the units which you would find if you went through the network of links in that sticky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast