Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Verisimilitude in Arms, Panoplies, Combat Mechanics, and Magic

Question Seidr?

Once again, Arnie, thanks for the information regarding the relative scale of combat. You're quite the fount of information! *thumbs up*

What of seidr (magic)? Will it be simple and direct (e.g. lightning bolt, enlarge, heal, slow, etc.) or will practitioners of seidr be able to do other things that are more complicated and/or indirect (summoning & binding spirits, find the path, clairvoyance, ensorcelling items, runecasting at critical junctures, etc.)?
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://cbrrescue.org/

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    "magic", not a great term for our universe, we prefer "weaving". Direct spells as you call them will be very rare, at least when it comes to direct damage. Most of our "weaving" will be based on indirect spells. Weaving is more subtle than fantasy magic for the most part. There are, of course, caveats to any rule which are story based. The lightning you saw in our trailer was used because it looks cool to see lightning in a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    The lightning you saw in our trailer was used because it looks cool to see lightning in a trailer.
    Best reason.

Most of our "weaving" will be based on indirect spells. Weaving is more subtle than fantasy magic for the most part. There are, of course, caveats to any rule which are story based.
    Weaving and indirect, hmmm? To quote Artie Johnson, "Verrrrrry interesting." The more I hear of your efforts, the more intrigued I'm becoming.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://cbrrescue.org/

@Eberict:
    Shining Force? Uh...yes.
    Backing the Banner Saga just gets better and better

And what about weapon's reach? is there is something planned about that? (and opportunity attack?)

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #27
    @Quidman: I'm not sure what you mean by weapons reach. Melee reaches 1 tile, bows reach 2-5 (they cannot shoot the tile next to them). There are exceptions to this, but that's the basics. We have a spearman class that may shake this up, I think spearmen should be able to reach more than one space without throwing their weapon. We'll be trying to balance this, but I like unique classes.

It's exactly what i mean (except that in my mind, it was more about Spear/sword difference in term of tile)

About opportunity attack, It's more about controlled space like in D&D, so you can't do what you want if you are to close to an foe. Or may be you get some bonus if your are in formation with an ally (it's just a description of what i have in my mind, not what I expect)

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #29
    Positioning plays a large roll in the Banner Saga. For instance the Axemen class and the advanced classes associated with it all get "Shield wall" as a passive ability. For every friendly unit adjacent to their tile they get +1 armor.
    We will have advanced classes that take advantage of such things as flanking in the future, but not at ship. We have avoided facing in the tactical dynamics, but positioning is of prime importance.

Attacks of opportunity in D&D are granted when someone tries to move out of, or tries to fire a bow while in, a "threatened" square (a square into which an enemy can make a melee attack). Does Banner Saga have something like that?

11.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #31
    Ahh, no we do not have attacks of opportunity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2