Our team at Stoic, 4-time BAFTA nominated indie video game company, is seeking a Systems Designer to help us create and tune our next game, working out of our office in Austin, TX.
As a Systems Designer, you will be responsible for designing and balancing across a range of different systems, including combat, itemization and character progression.
You will work closely with the other designers at Stoic in Austin, as well as our programming team in Seattle. Your ability to communicate clearly and break down complex systems and designs into parsable chunks that non-Systems Designers can understand will be critical to your success.
Role and Responsibilities
You will participate in the game design process at all stages from inception to completion, providing feedback and input, and establishing a deep personal understanding and investment in the game. You will need to take existing designs and balance them to fit the design goals laid out by the Creative Director and Lead Designer as well as creating new systems and shepherding them through the gauntlet that is game development.
- Collaborate closely with other designers and programmers
- Balance all aspects of the game with a holistic view of the overall design
- Exhibit flexibility in a small team setting that sometimes requires people to work outside their assigned role
- Constantly look for places where systems can be created or refined to improve the overall game experience and better match the studio’s goals
- Demonstrate dedication to high quality standards
- You have extensive experience with Unreal and spreadsheets are like a second language to you. You have at least 2-5 years experience in the game industry with at least one shipped title as a Systems Designer
- You have a passion for games and for the systems and data that make them work. You have earned the respect of your colleagues
- College degree (bonus points for math or science)
- Professional experience with Unreal
- Professional experience with Excel or Google Sheets
- Loves working with creative people
- Detail oriented and quality driven
- Passionate about learning
- (bonus) MMO or online game experience
- (bonus) Live game experience
The Systems Designer is going to be vital to our next game’s success. This person is going to help us shape our project into something absolutely incredible, and we can’t wait to meet them!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Contact us a moc.o1576158713iduts1576158713ciots1576158713@sboj1576158713 to apply, or for more information!